LanderStudent

I'm a student going to Lander College for Men, in Kew Garden Hills. Since I found relatively little information about the school not provided by them before I personally showed up, I though I would try blogging my experiences. Since then, I have continued, if only because people here nag me about it when I don't post.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Out Shabbos

Well, on Tuesday morning, there was an announcement at Lander, one that I personally hadn't expected because, as usual, I pay no attention whatsoever to calendars - this week was an out shabbos. I wasn't sure what the announcement was about, because I knew it was not an in-shabbos, which are supposedly mandatory. I found out, however, that there is a special trichotomy about Lander College shabbosim - not only are there in shabbosim, and regular shabbosim, there are also, once a month or so, shabbosim that are specifically out - there is no option to stay in, and there is shiur neither Friday nor Sunday, to allow those who wish to go home the opportunity to do so. This is an important fact because for those of us living an appreciable distance outside of New York, it is impractical to go home for a long weekend, and we do not necessarily know people nearby. I ended up with a last minute invitation to my chevrusas house, but overall, I guess it would have been nice if they had been clearer about the schedule beforehand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>